Given that one of my best friends is a psych major, I’ve heard it all — the countless complaints about the field, the random text messages of cool brain facts from the textbook she hilariously gets way too excited about… I thought BuzzFeed, once again, captured it all perfectly with these Disney gifs!
1. People don’t believe you when you tell them psychology is a science.
It’s a social science people.
2. People assume you’re majoring in it because it’s “easy.”
3. Research Methods and statistics will grow to be the bane of your existence.
4. But you will hate nothing more than SPSS.
You die a little every time your professor says “let’s open SPSS.”
5. You can spout off facts about the brain like you’re repeating your zip code.
6. You have debates with biology majors about the brain and how it works.
“No, I’m telling you, I just learned this today in class.”
7. Need to know about an obscure study/experiment? I got you covered.
Do you want to know about the Stanford Prison Experiment or the Milgram experiment? Or possibly the Bystander Effect experiment?
8. You’ll learn the same thing in every single psychology class because all of the information overlaps.
(You’ll go a little crazy)
9. But that doesn’t mean you don’t have a tremendous amount of studying to do.
10. In fact you’ll be bombarded with exams, research projects, research papers, group projects, discussions, etc.
Coffee becomes your best friend.
11. You’re constantly in the library looking up sources for your research papers.
Bonus points if the people that work in the library know you personally now.
12. You and your psych friends stick together like glue.
Who else would help you understand all of this?
13. Your non-psych friends always think you’re psychoanalyzing them.
Actually, no, I’m psychoanalyzing myself and my own mental problems so I don’t have time to figure out yours.
14. All of the different classes are super interesting though and you just want to take them all.
15. But, with the amount of people in your major, you have a tough time getting into the classes you want.
Thank God for pre-registration, am I right?
16. When you first started the major you had no idea how many different paths you could choose.
Clinical? Social? Perceptual? Researcher?
17. Your heart sinks the first time you learn you have to get your masters degree or a PhD to get anywhere.
Let me just figure out my life real quick.
18. Finding a decent job when you graduate is a constant fear.
*Begs* “I just want a decent job in the field of psychology”
19. Forget living on your own right after you graduate without a job and after at least 6 years of schooling.
“Hello parents I am back until I get my life together.”